Coppercoat™ :: Marine Antifoul
On immersion, sea water attacks the exposed pure copper powder, causing the formation of cuprous oxide. This highly effective antifouling agent deters growth until the surface degrades further to become cupric hydrochloride. This final copper form is highly unstable, and is washed away by the movement of the yacht, thereby removing any accumulating silt or slime. This automatically reveals a fresh copper rich surface, whereby the process recommences.
With an average thickness of at least 200 microns of Coppercoat™ marine antifoul being applied in a treatment, and a typical corrosion rate of 5 microns per year, it is easy to appreciate how this coating offers such long lasting and effective protection. During 2001, Yachting Monthly reported on a yacht that had been treated some 8 years previously. The verdict? “A great success”.
Furthermore, the inherent waterproofing qualities of the epoxy ensure that a treatment of Coppercoat™ marine antifoul will help prevent osmosis in GRP craft and offer extra protection against corrosion in steel vessels.
With the resin carrier insulating each copper sphere, the final coating is inert and non conductive. Consequently Coppercoat™ marine antifoul does not cause electroloysis problems or cathodic decay in steel or aluminium craft. Sacrificial anodes should be fitted in the usual manner.
Coppercoat™ is the obvious choice for owners searching for increased performance with reduced costs from
- UNBEATABLE LONGEVITY – Unlike regular coatings, hardwearing Coppercoat™ remains effective for many seasons. A single treatment of Coppercoat™ is proven to remain effective for at least ten years. The first boats treated are still clean after 15 seasons!
- EXTRA EFFICIENCY – The combination of high copper content and a unique blend of biocides ensures ultra low growth rates and a clean hull. Motorboat owners report increased speed at lower revs, meaning a lower rate of fuel consumption and less engine wear. Professional racers can burnish the surface if required.
- GRP OSMOSIS PROTECTION – Coppercoat™ is based upon an inherently waterproof epoxy resin. As such, the application of Coppercoat™ helps to protect GRP vessels against osmotic attack.
- LOW MAINTENANCE – No more expensive and unpleasant annual stripping and repainting of hulls. Simply hose down the hull at regular intervals (commonly once a year), to remove any build up of slime.
- ENVIRONMENTALLY FRIENDLY – Being epoxy based Coppercoat™ is classified as non-eroding and causes less harm to the environment than conventional anti-foul paints. The complete treatment has been tested and approved by the Health and Safety Executive, in compliance with UK and EU law. Holding HSE Certificate Number 7532 our anti-fouling is fully approved for use by both professional tradesmen and the general public. Furthermore, Coppercoat™ fully complies with current (2001) International Maritime Organisation (IMO) Resolution MEPC.102(48).
These advantages have meant that many of the world’s leading boat builders have adopted Coppercoat™. Clients include:
African Cats, Aquastar, Arcona, Arvor, Bowman, Broom, Catana, Contessa, Cornish Crabbers, CR Yachts, Delphia, Discovery, Feeling, Hanse, Honnor, Hylas, J-Boats, Lagoon, Lochin, Malo, Najad, Nauticat, Nordship, Oyster, Quorning, Ribcraft, Rustler, Saturn, Sessa, Sirius, Solaris, South Boats, Southerly, Spirit, Swallow, Sunseeker and Trusty.Coppercoat™ : The Science Behind It